View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #73
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650Rking View Post
Directed to Jamey_Z as the original poster and moderator of this thread but for everyone's input.

Not making a rule...but thought about suggesting a 1 point value for each Tag found to add a little competition to and motivation to tag and maybe Jamie could keep a running tally on the first page of those that participate?
I've never really been a fan of points, despite my tongue-in-cheek joke about an your ADV sticker in the OP. I did look at a number of other photo tag games around the country before I posted this one to see how it worked, or what didn't.

Of course I'm open to input too, but so far it seems that the tags in this game have already been fairly competitive, at least within a small group of folks. What I'd like is to get more people and people from farther away more involved. I could be wrong, but it seems like keeping a tally could discourage new and casual participants because after a while they wouldn't have a chance to catch up.

Points may also have the detrimental affect of encouraging quantity over quality. I've seen that happen in geocaching as people rush to get their find count higher and higher. A disproportionate number of new geocaches are places in really dumb places just so people can find them fast and easy and get another point on their find total.

Posting a collage as I've done is intended to encourage people to want to see their own photos and photos of interesting places. Even a new guy will get his photo in the collage--though I can already see that very soon the pictures will become too small to be recognizable. I'll have to come up with a solution for that.

I've also thought of making a map; sort of a tracklog of the places the tag has been. That might require too much bookkeeping though.

If someone wants to make a case for keeping a point tally, I'll listen, and there's nothing that says someone can't post the numbers themselves.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote