View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
pancho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Thinking about quitting

We are very similar...40 plus years of riding, MSF RiderCoach for 20 plus yrs...I was hit by a person running a red light (on the cell phone too)..while on my way to coach a class. I made it to class on time and was not injured. My bike suffered $2000 in damages. It was hit and run, but I should have been better. Running red lights is common. Where the gear, eliminate the surprise...the risk is always there. I am 63 yrs old. I think about quitting ...usually once or twice a year. My wife of 40 yrs does not ride, so I feel selfish. She encourages me to continue, says I would not be the same. Risk is part of the experience...nothing is guaranteed. Do your best, try not to be stupid. Its not always going to be easy. The risk is up to you. I currently ride a 99 R1100GS (its mr third GS started with an 81 R80G/S) and a 96 R1100RS. Life is always good when I'm riding. I had 20 yrs experience guiding in Mexico. Had to give that up last year. My wife finally stated she was uncomfortable with me in that environment. There are plenty of places to continue my journey this side of the border. Four years ago I was diagnosed with CLL. Again no guarantees in life. Just enjoy each moment. I loved my Mexico experiences, I love riding, I love sharing it with new riders who want to get better, I love my wife...she always knows better. Sometimes shit happens.
pancho is offline   Reply With Quote