View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #46
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,270
HS#14 Hard Labor Creek HS

Haley and I made the journey up to this race in a far away land...aka Chipley Florida (6 hr drive) and hosted by the Tallahassee Trail Riders. The race consists of mostly flat and flowing woods with a small endurocross section and the HS of the year ward for 2010. Conditions were very dry with the Sat course being 8 miles and Sunday 12.

Haley was a quiet bundle of nerves as the horn went off. She was mid pack at the first corner and spent the first mile keeping fellow Junior Girls competitor Zoe Steindl (5G) in sight. Dust was a struggle for all competitors over the weekend as Haley soon found out. In her fervor to keep the leader in view she blew a corner in the dusty conditions and buried her bike in the woods. After much vine entangled angst a sympathetic Evolution C rider helped to get her back on track (Thanks Gina Harp !!!) She managed to navigate the endurocross section with little drama and get the first lap under her belt. The 2nd lap got better as she actually ran a better time than Zoe (who was having rear brake issues) and completed 3 laps in 90 minutes to only be 8 minutes behind the leader at the end. This was Haley's last race of the year (HS 15 interferes with the 8th grade dance) so she is left with the drive to continue getting faster and the agonizingly long wait until the next season.

Junior Girls
Place # Name AMA # Brand City, State Point Adv Laps Elapsed
1 5G Zoe Steindl KTM Sanford, FL 50 0 3 1:19:00
2 169G Haley Schell Honda Odessa, FL 47 0 3 1:27:28

When Sunday rolled around it was obvious my plan to travel to this far away race to get an easier chance at wood was derailed. Seems 16 other Senior C guys had the same idea as our line was full: to the point some folks even had to duck under bars to get to their bikes

I got a good start and was 4th to the first corner. Not 100 yds in and the white-out dust conditions were in full effect. I was behind a slower Bob Ryan (26C) but the first few miles were so dusty it was follow the leader. Once we broke into the first clear cut section I made the pass and was up to 3rd. 1st and 2nd place were no where to be seen so I actually had a clear view. Soon enough a Georgia ringer by the name of Trey Bordelon (957C) came by like I was tied to a tree. So 4th place it is as I'm wondering who's coming next. I'm riding as fast as I can when Kevin Vaughan (15C) comes around and I'm wondering what my problem is. Are these guys getting faster or am I getting slower? I see Kevin picking his bike up at the end of the straight right after the boat jump and my question is answered as I pass him back...slow and steady is my motto..ha!

Boat jump you asked? Seems the middle of the woods was the perfect place to dump a v-hulled boat years ago and TTR was able to flip it upside down, add some dirt for a ramp and walla..boat jump.I liked the hay bales stacked around the still attached outboard...safety first!
I manage to not embarrass myself too badly the first lap and roll through in 4th. Not long after a faster rider on a Honda 4-stroke comes up fast and I let him by..5th now. I'm riding along and by comes Mark Z. (196C) with a "Hi Troy" and a nice view of that Tom Flemming suspension slowly pulling away from me. I'm not letting this pass go unchallenged so I try and stay on his tail for a while. This was working until Mike Belle(Master B) let me pass only to watch me smack a tree right before a woods double green and catch myself before hitting another. I'm laughing as I'm picking up the bike (thinking nice move dummy) as Mike passes me back. Not long after I yell to Mike "let's try this again" and I'm by for good but Mark Z is gone. Soon I see the Honda 4-stroke rider ahead kicking his stalled bike at the end of a straight. I'll take that spot back so 5th it is as I roll through the scoring chicane to end the 2nd lap.

Just before the 1/2 way point I hear/see new guy Mac Hennage (427C) behind me. What is with all these fast guys showing up lately ! Smart money would have been to let him pass and use him to pull me along towards the front...but no, I have to get racy. A left hand sweeper is my demise as the rear steps out and high sides me off the bike. Mac asks (are you okay?!) as I grunted "yeah" and try to get rolling again. As I'm kicking the bike i could feel my groin muscle "pop" followed by intense pain bboo. Great, let's hope I don't have to start this again as the leg is useless now. I'm in survival mode but as long as I don't have to put that foot on the ground I'll be okay..how much worse could it get right?

1/2 mile later I find out. I'm down shifting for a corner and the next thing I know I feel something missing...my shifter! Seems the bolt had snapped (safety wire didn't help that issue) and now I'm stuck...in 1st gear. 2nd wouldn't have been too bad, but 1st ??????. I tried revving it up in the straights and pulling the clutch in but that didn't work to well. I just wrung it's neck for 4-5 miles as I rolled the whoops and waited for the next guy to pass me. Soon enough it was my Adam Nix(20C), my arch nemesis from last race, rolling by with a wave of the hand. The scoring chicane finally comes into view and I roll through in 7th.

I had Haley hold the bike so I could start it standing up as we rode away realizing that even a day with a sore body parts and missing bike parts is still a pretty darn good day! See you at HS #15.

Video of Race (Vet C) pretty good wreck at 13:20.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52zzCbmKhg

Senior C
Place # Name AMA # Brand City, State Point Adv Laps Elapsed
1 957C Trey Bordelon KTM Hahira, GA 50 10 3 1:39:28
2 21C Jorge Colon 105354 KTM Orlando, FL 47 5 3 1:42:15
3 48C David Davis 854296 KTM Lake City, FL 45 4 3 1:45:25
4 196C Mark Zaremskas 505078 KTM Eustis, FL 43 3 3 1:45:38
5 427C Mac Hennage Kawasaki San Antonio, TX 41 2 3 1:45:43
6 20C Charles Nix KTM Inverness, FL 40 0 3 1:47:08
7 117C Troy Stainbrook KTM Odessa, FL 39 0 3 1:47:36
8 5C Gerardo Dilone 872733 KTM Kissimmee, FL 38 0 3 1:47:58
9 15C Kevin Vaughan KTM North Port, FL 37 0 3 1:48:31