View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #193
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Holy Smokes....Chi. Outstanding answer to the steering stem adjustment. Super Thanks!!

I've had mine all apart since asking the question. What a simple design, I must say.

The single, combo, internal-threaded bolt at the top of the stem is an interesting way to anchor it. I've always worked with external threads with separate adjuster and lock nuts.

My "clunk" was definitely in the stem due to loose bearing pressure. With wheel removed, I could wiggle the forks laterally (forward to aft). When I inspected the adjustment bolt up top, it was actually loose....about two threads from snug. After relieving the stem pinch bolt tension, I could easily turn the top bolt with zero effort. There was no torque value in it. So, its was definitely time to make an adjustment.

Fortunately, my steering bearings looked great! Plenty of grease and in very sound shape. Guess I caught it very early. Here it is all cleaned up:

I am very pleased to announce that THESE bearings are indeed much better quality than what I found in my wheels. Mine were a nice pair of NTN tapered bearings: NTN 4T 320 - 28x

THIS is what should have been in my wheels from the beginning (from the factory). Not those cheesy cheapo LFO bearings....what were falling apart. I'd still prefer SKF's, but have no reason to swap out these NTN bearings. They were in excellent condition. I regreased them, and reassembled my steering stem.

Honestly, this is the easiest steering stem to work with, that I've ever put my hands on. So easy, anybody can do it. Ok....how about "most anybody". I realize nothing is foolproof, because fools are so ingenius.

HF

p.s. Fronzy....I've had no problem with filler neck auto-shutoff at the fuel pumps in Oklahoma....or elsewhere for that matter. Works great. Don't think I've ever spilled a drop. But it wouldn't bother me a bit, if I did. I'd just grab a rag and use the "opportunity" to spiff up my bike a bit.
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote