View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #21
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Eh? "The Next Big Thing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
It's because those same parts were probably used on 15 different models. Hell, they might still be using them on current models. The 'parts guys' around here can speak to it better than I can, but there are a good number of parts that were used on a whole range of models spanning multiple decades. Those germans got as much mileage as they could out of a lot of things. Swingarm pivot pins come to mind. Driveshaft boots. Final drive bearings and shims. The same huge custom final drive bearing was used in BMW final drives from 1981 until 2005. I'm sure there are other even more extreme examples.
And that's what I find amazing about BMW in this age of full model redesign every two to three years. There's no way any manufacturer can to keep up it's parts inventory with this constant obsession with continual redesigning models for the sake of just being the newest next big thing. It's refreshing to know that BMW continues to respect its heritage and retains some sense of self when so many of the other motorcycle companies are caught up in a continual battle with itself against being left behind on "The Next Big Thing".
TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote