Old 05-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Hey check this out:

http://www.electrosport.com/street-b...phase-102.html

This looks like a brand new part to replace the OEM stator. It is only $125!

I would assume the F650GS stator is the same as the F800GS?

I also found this site: https://www.rmstator.com/en/motorcyc...categories.htm

It looks like they repair stators...

So the brand new stator that is after market is $125 and to repair a stator it is $150... hmmm... Do you think there is anything special about the OEM stator compared to a replacement?
It looks to me that the F650GS they are talking about on the first site is the older single. They also list one for the F800ST and my parts guide says that SHOULD be the same part.

Theres nothing special about the OEM stator, other then on at least some of the older bikes, the insulation is not that good.

Everything advertised for motorcycles is always more expensive. Sans warranty, i'd look for a shop that rebuilds in house.

It is laughable how easy it is to make a stator. 1: put a new nomex or fiberglass sleeve on each pole piece. 2: get varnished or glassed wire of appropriate size (14 gauge perhaps? easy to tell once your looking at it), wind it around each pole piece with the same number of turns as original and follow the pattern of the original. 3: Protect the terminations with glass tape.
4: dip the completed assembly in varnish or glass (glass is better). Bake it at the temperature the varnish or glass manufacture recommends. DONE

If you want serious reliability meg / hot test, dip it again and bake it again if your really hard core. DONE

The style of stator on the F800GS is the easiest to rewind in the world. If I had facilities like I did when I was an industrial electrician, it would take me 10 bucks in supplies and 15 minutes of labor to rewind it and use far higher temperature insulation then BMW did.

You should still be well within warranty Ender, but if you weren't, I would find someone that still practices the dying art of repair, rather then replacement.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote