View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 06:27 AM   #502
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
I'm a bit late with this one, but Craig's post near Ketcum Ranch prompted me to get going with it.

A week ago Saturday I spent an evening by the campfire at dvwalker's property outside Mosier.
He's up pretty high in the hills, watching Mt. Adams sneak over the mountains beyond.

It was an ideal camping evening with calm, clear skies and a very nice view from dv's "campspot" of the the Mosier Valley and the Columbia Gorge below us.

Ideal until the night. Clear out here this time of year means COLD. Really cold.
Went to bed listening to the sprayers, coating the orchard on a calm cool night, and woke up to fans, trying to keep the orchards a couple of degree warmer.

In the morning we took a walk around some of the trails he's built, and watched deer and wild turkeys getting their breakfasts.
There's lots of deer here.

When the sun turned warm, we headed up Vensel Rd to Ketchum.
Ketchum Rd runs at the top of the ridge between Mosier Creek Valley and Mill Creek Valley, outside The Dalles.
It is one of the few gravel-less roads in our area, but on top, it stays fairly dry and hard packed.

There's a few puddles here and there, ready for my water-fording ride of the day, the Mighty Shadow !!

...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote