View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #42
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,581
Luggage

Got some pics of my luggage to share.

First is my Bags-Connection "GS" tankbag. It mounts to the gas cap ring--it doesn't touch or rub on the tank anywhere, and has a rigid base. There's a GPS mount for my Zumo, and a waterproof port if you're one of those guys who want power inside the bag for accessories. When you need gas, there is a pull tab at the front of the bag that releases the locking mechanism. To mount it, just place it onto the locking ring (which is permanently mounted to the gas cap) and press down until the lock clicks. This is a very nice, very large, very expensive ($285) tankbag. Only complaint is that on full-lock left turns the bag activates the left turn signal but I can live with that.

Edit--this tank bag ended up being just too big. Replaced it a year later with a Bags Connection "City" tankbag. Same bag, just smaller.

Next is this Cortech tailbag mounted to the trunk lid. This is a light duty bag but a handy place to put rain gear, lunch, dog food, or whatever. It comes with a stretchy waterproof cover for rainy days but even with the cover on it's not waterproof. I got it for $40 in the Flea Market and that's about all it's worth. Mounts with built-in bungie hooks.

Edit--this Cortech bad ended up being pretty worthless. Now if I got extra stuff, I pack it into a Helen2Wheels waterproof sack and bungie it to the rack. Here's a pic of my "little" H2W bag--

And my "big" H2W bag--

The Givi rack I installed on the trunk lid is working really well. Note also how nicely my tent fits on the pannier lid with a small cooler on the tail rack.

Next, I just got these really cool pannier liners from BagsForBikes.com. Only $109 shipped! They were custom-made for me and my panniers so the fit is perfect. Heavy-duty waterproof nylon cordura, top-loading, two outside pockets on each bag (one zippered on top, and a large velcroed pocket on the side), carry handles, and even embroidered! Wow!

Close-up of the large side pocket and the zipped top pocket--

I've taken the outfit on some shakedown rides, but the first big trip starts next Thursday--that will be a 500-mile 4-day camping trip to Lake Chelan for the Chelan Sidecar Rally. Haven't decided yet if I'm taking the dog or the wife in the sidecar.

DRONE screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 01:08 PM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote