View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #402
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,030
Replacing the throttle pivot o'rings

I hadn't replaced these at the time I'd rebuilt the carbs with new o'rings, jets & needle, seals & gaskets. Forum opinion was there was a large hassle factor in replacing these, & that they were generally fine.

However I thought the carbs might have had an air leak thru' the throttle o'rings. I have been suffering a bog in the first throttle application that I haven't been able to tune out, & I thought I'd better do these for piece of mind if nothing else.

Obviously 1st remove the carbs from the bike. Disassemble the throttle lever mechanism (nut & two piece lever), & The throttle spring base (two scrows into the carb body).

I marked the front on the throttle butterfly (& which side was up) for easier reassembly. The Butterfly has a chamfer on it. Turning the butterfly, you can see where BMW have deformed the screws so that these will not loosen & enter the intake. You need to file this portion of the screws away.

I took the throttle slide off so I had more room to move. I didn't need to take the float bowl off. I had thought the screws might be loctited in & I might need to heat them to release this. This proved not to be the case.

The throttle butterfly shafts slides out once the butterfly screws & butterfly are removed.

Replaced the o'rings, with a bit of vaseline smeared round them to assist reassembly, the rebuttoned everything back together. I used red loctite on the (shortened) butterfly screws, & a small screw driver to deform the small amount of thread showing after reassembly, to ensure that these don't fall out on their own. Jobs done, piece of mind restored.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 05-13-2011 at 11:35 PM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote