Braxton County Court House, And former Jail.
BuffWV and I picked this up on our way to Rella's.
Located at the center of the Sutton Downtown Historic District, the Braxton County Courthouse is an interesting combination of an older style done with a modern sensibility. According to county records the original design concept was authored by Felix J. Baxter, a local resident, and contractors Wood and Atchinson utilized plans and specifications drawn by C.C. Kimble. Completed in 1882, the two-story brick building’s most dominant feature is the central bell tower/cupola with shuttered arches and convex roof. The projecting three-bay entrance has a central pediment with an oxeye attic window and a cornice of simple modillions. The building makes reference to the earlier federal buildings of America by employing stylistic clues such as articulating the main entrance and side windows with bands of stone that form arches on the lower level. The relatively simple flat pilasters of the upper story convey the sense of columns but in a much more modern style than one might expect at this early date. The Braxton County Courthouse is an early example of the Colonial Revival style. This style would become more popular for both civic and private buildings with the restoration of Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia in the early part of the 20th century. -- JWM
In 1876 America celebrated its centennial anniversary. Reminiscence about our colonial past helped revive an interest in the Georgian and Federal styles of architecture that were popular before and just after the American Revolution. In response, architects began to study and copy early examples of Georgian and Federal architecture. Initially, new buildings constructed in what became known as the Colonial Revival style displayed freely interpreted details and elements of earlier Georgian and Federal buildings. After about 1900 however, architects became more interested in historic accuracy and designed buildings that were more correct in their proportions and use of details. Braxton (c.1882), Pendleton (c.1924) and Wayne (c.1924) Counties in West Virginia built new courthouses in the Colonial Revival style of architecture. A fourth courthouse, located in Jefferson County, was remodeled in 1916 using colonial details. Although the courthouse in Braxton County was constructed early in the development of the style, all four buildings illustrate the historical accuracy that evolved later in the period. These courthouses serve to remind us of an era when Americans were moving into the rapidly growing and changing age of industry and machines and were looking to their roots with a sense of nostalgia.
Ran out of time, so new tag to come later.