View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #25
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Shocking news !!!

I knew I would have to upgrade the suspension, both front and rear, as the original BMW OEM shocks were in bad shape. At thirty two years of age, normal wear and tear had left them with zero dampening affect. On the ride home I knew they were junk as I cruised along enjoying the “Buick like” ride of the deceased rear shocks.

My initial research led me to “the usual suspects”; Works, Race Tech, Progressive. All fine shocks that I had used on bike builds of the past. But really, this is classic BMW Airhead, and modern shocks, as good as they are, do not provide that classic BMW look. Back in the day, KONI was “the” aftermarket replacement shock of choice for the discriminating BMW owner who wanted to ride his BMW at a rapid pace.

I happened upon a pair of original KONI 7610-1298 new old stock in the original box on eBay. Bidding started at $100, went to $125, and then sat there for the next 4 days. I logged on 2 minutes before the auction closed to find the bidding had pushed the price up to $275, ouch. I still though it would be cool to have actual “KONI” shocks, so I bid $285, do’h. Then 20 seconds before the auction closed a bid for $290… I fire back with $295, but, was second in line at $295 and did not win, rats!

TINK
PROJECT S > http://www.photosbytink.com/bmw/

TINK screwed with this post 06-05-2011 at 09:27 PM
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote