View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #27
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I put a waterproof switch on the dashboard.......connecting the gps with the BMW plug. What you need to be aware of is that with most gps`s....even through they are switched off.... There is an idle current running through the power circuit....that could slowly drain the battery. So just be aware of this if you connect it straight to the battery. If you connect it to the bmw plug....the canbus will power it down after a few minutes..... But there have been some reports of the canbus not doing so....and with the result of a dead battery. Mine turns off after a few minutes.....which switches the unit to battery power.....and at the end of the day I just switch it off with the installed waterproof switch. Had no issues.....

Erling

I like your setup. Can you tell me the p/n and the vendor for your switches.I have been looking for some weather proof switches.

Just a little heads up to all. Make sure you make your connections weather proof. Raychem makes what we refer to as environment splices. I am sure a quick internet search will reveal several vendors.

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote