View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #275
digdesign
Hack

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieKILLER View Post
This might sound stupid.
Im planning to get a new bike next year. I currently have a harley & drz400 sm. Just got back from a 2000 km roundtrip with the harley. It was alot of fun. But I didnt have any saddle bags & had to use a backpack w/c really was inconvenient. We had a back up vehicle until the last 500km w/c I had to put on the backpack. But I dont wanna use my harley for that anymore. Also had problems with my airfilter stalling the motor in heavy rain w/c we encountered. I have a screaming eagle heavy breather (open type cone filter).
We're planning to do it again next year.
Its gonna be around 3000-4000 km roundtrip. All asphalt. No offroad. We're gonna have a backup vehicle all the way & back to carry our things.
I know that the BMW GS800 would be the right bike for that trip but how about just around town or short rides? Im asking this is because im just gonna use it once a year for long distance riding & the rest gonna be short rides & around town. Im also considering the 2011 ducati monster 796. How fast is the GS800?
If you plan to ride only asphalt and around town consider getting a 1200GS. You'll be much more comfortable on such a long haul. I don't know how you can even consider the 796 for touring.
digdesign is offline   Reply With Quote