View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
doublen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Day 3:

The first thing I did when I woke up is look out the window. What did I see? Sunshine of course! And my dirty, dirty Mistress sitting there waiting for a glorious finale to the first portion of this trip.

I was ecstatic to be able to dress for the ride and not be concerned with wet weather. I was also excited to have the chance to wear summer gloves with a more tactile feel to them. It is like a whole new world when you can finally switch back to light gloves. The weather was amazing, I decided I would loop around Lake Mead and check out the Hoover Dam while I was there. I took Highway 169 and looped around Lake Mead and the Las Vegas Bay near the Valley of Fire.

There were still some clouds.

I never got wet though.

The first glimpses of Lake Mead

My mule...er...Mistress, begging for more!

The scenery was amazing! Looking at Google maps, the new bypass bridge on Highway 93 runs right by the dam and I thought I could get a good view without spending the money and time to be a tourist and take the dam road in. I was wrong, those DOT bastards made the barriers on the bridge just high enough that I couldn’t see anything as I was crossing and by the time I got there I didn’t want to turn back and retrace my steps just to see it. I kept on going and made it to Kingman Arizona. I grabbed a burger at the first Carl’s Jr. I came to and filled up the gas tank yet again.

I decided I would finish the trip today. I was tired of being on the bike and dealing with shit weather and reveled in the thought of being able to burn some miles for once!

I left Kingman with a vengeance and continued to find other cars and bikes moving at insane speeds through the Arizona desert, I’d say I averaged 85-90 mph on the stretch between Kingman and the North end of Phoenix and when I saw the skyscrapers towering above the desert floor I knew this portion of the journey was nearly complete. It’s amazing how much things like this will affect your motivation and energy levels. I pushed it, and kept her going until I pulled into the driveway of my Mom’s house in Coolidge. I rang the doorbell and collapsed on the floor.

Those had been the longest three days of my life. But it was over and I was with family and friends. More importantly, it was hotter than hell and I was loving every second of that dry Arizona heat!

The Route

doublen screwed with this post 05-22-2011 at 10:17 PM
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote