View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
doublen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
While I was there:
That first day off the bike I couldn’t help but just veg out and enjoy some peace and quiet. Spent some time with my Mom and enjoyed my Brother and his family. I hadn’t seen my nephews in so long, they have grown so much.

Closer to the next weekend, I decided I wanted to make my way to Apache Junction to see my Uncle and his family. While I went that way, we decided to check out Canyon Lake and Highway 88. I was wiped by the end of the day from swimming and playing with the Nephews in the Lake and decided against finishing the remainder of Highway 88 to Roosevelt. This was, after all supposed to be a vacation, right? My Uncle ended up being busy that day so I made my way into Mesa to stay with a friend and his wife for a couple nights. It’s always good to catch up with an old friend and get to know the lady in his life now.

I finally caught up to my Uncle and we had planned on hooking up for a ride in the area but it got too late. I was surprised when he pulled this contraption out of the garage though.

I made my way back to Coolidge and spent some more time with the family. On the 16th I took the entire family to a Diamondback’s game at Chase Field. It was a highlight of the trip, I haven’t been to a Major League Baseball game since I was a kid in the 80’s and I’d forgotten how cool an MLB stadium and game were.

Pretty cool to see the moon from where we were. I wish those lights hadn't been on right then.

I've never been this close to a World Series Trophy before.

After the game I wanted to check out the downtown area. I love the skyscrapers in big cities, it’s so much the opposite of everywhere I’ve ever lived and it fascinates me. My Brother wanted to show me the stadium where the Arizona Cardinals play, so we drove out to Glendale to check it out. And they weren’t kidding. It looks like a toaster in the middle of the desert! It was a great ending to a great night.

The Toaster!

While I was there I sampled some of the local cuisine. My friend took me out to Joe’s BBQ in Gilbert, supposedly the best BBQ in the entire state. And I must say I was not disappointed, great food, great atmosphere and amazing home-made Root beer

Some of the best food I had while there was cooked by my sister-in-law. I didn’t have to go out for food once while I was near her house. I would have taken pictures of it, but it never lasted long in a house with two hungry teenage boys and an 8 year old with a hollow leg.

I was supposed to sample some authentic Mexican food while I was there because according to them, the Mexican food up north is no better than Taco Bell. We never got around to it. Too much stupendous home cooking!
In the end, I had a great time. My first visit to Arizona was a very pleasant experience and I kinda liked it there.

doublen screwed with this post 05-22-2011 at 10:18 PM
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote