View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
doublen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Return Ride

Return Ride Day 1:
After hugs and goodbyes I hit the road, destined for Idaho. After all, I had to be back to work in 4 days! I had hoped the weather would cooperate for the return trip, all the forecasts while I was in Arizona showed perfect weather. Not a drop of rain to be seen. But now, of course it was not clear. North of Arizona and the Salt Lake City area showed significant weather patterns nearly identical to what I had experienced on the way down. I was not hopeful that the return trip would be any more enjoyable than the trip down. But, I have obligations.

So here we go again!

While I was in Arizona I started to notice my rear tire was getting to be on its last legs and figured I should probably consider replacing it before heading home. I checked every shop in the area and just couldn’t find a deal anywhere close to what I could get at home and online so in the end I said screw it!

That first day was fantastic! If anyone is familiar with my current circumstances they know I have been considering a move to a more temperate climate. I’ve been going through a divorce and there is a part of me that just flat-out wants a change of pace. I fantasize about living somewhere I can ride year round (or close to year round) and I’ve been researching areas I might consider when this time comes, if ever. Prescott and Flagstaff have been on my list and I wanted to see them and get a feel for how I like the towns. So, based on this and recommendations from the locals (shalihe74 and others) I decided to check out Highway 89A through Prescott and Sedona and up to Flagstaff.

Needless to say, this was the highlight of the ride portion. Some of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen. The weather was flawless and the curves were plentiful. I finally scrubbed some of the rubber off the sides of my tires! (Good considering I didn’t have much left in the middle). I really liked Prescott and am strongly considering moving there now. Flagstaff wasn’t bad either, though it’s a bit colder than I may be looking for if I decide to make the move to Arizona.

Heading toward Prescott

Coming down after Prescott heading for Sedona

Anyway…I played tourist a little this day. Stopped and took some pictures and enjoyed the sights. Sedona is a lovely little tourist trap and I was completely blown away when I dropped down into Jerome Arizona. I can honestly say I don’t think I’ve ever seen a town built on a mountain like that in the United States. That’s a European thing and the entire town had a European feel to it. It was a huge surprise!

Jerome

View from Jerome

Coming into Sedona

Some of the scenery around Sedona

It got a little chilly as I made my way into the pine trees and mountains near Flagstaff. A lovely little college town where I got some dinner, caught a movie and nabbed some shuteye at the Howard Johnson.

A great day, and encouragement for the rest of the ride home, which I knew would probably be sopping wet.

The Route

doublen screwed with this post 05-22-2011 at 10:19 PM
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote