View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
doublen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Return Ride Day 2:

Good morning in Flagstaff, I had a bad feeling about this day. I timidly peeked out the window and saw, much to my dismay, it was raining. My poor Mistress had been resting outside in the pouring rain, but as usual she was quickly purring and ready to hit the road.

Unfortunately, in order to leave Flagstaff you must climb in elevation. Flagstaff isn’t exactly at a low point either so guess what? Snow and slush, just my luck; I can’t freaking’ catch a break. The rain quickly turned to something much more treacherous, but I had waited until 11am in order to avoid the possibility of too much snow or slick roads. It turned out alright and thanks to the freshly purchased Wal-Mart special rain suit I was relatively dry the rest of the ride home.

After leaving Flagstaff and looking at the weather patterns I decided I was going to detour to the east and make my way up through Utah through Moab. This ended up being a good decision and the weather cleared for the most part. I got wet a few more times and saw some snow on the side of the highway in spots where the elevation increased enough, but for the most part it was tolerable.

I grabbed some lunch in Kayenta Arizona, met a nice local on a Harley and ran across a large group of German tourists on (I assume) rented Harleys. They were a pleasant and entertaining group of guys who didn’t speak much English. It’s always comical to watch the locals interact with people like this, they were like aliens.

Back on the road, I continued east and northeast until I found myself in Blanding Utah at a gas station warming up. I met a kindhearted truck driver who asked where I was going and when I told him I was trying to make it to Green River Utah he frowned and said, “When you get to Moab, look left. If those clouds are black, stay in Moab or you’ll regret it.” I told him I’d consider his advice. I didn’t want to stay in Moab, not because it’s a bad place to say, but because it is expensive and odds are good all the motels would be booked by the time I got there.

I arrived shortly thereafter in Moab. I looked left, as per the trucker’s suggestion and much to my dismay those clouds were as black as can be. I made the judgment call and decided to find a room in Moab. This task proved to be nearly impossible and I only found a room in the very last motel I checked at the far north end of town. Luckily it was one of the cheaper places in town and I got a good room on the ground level right near the exit where my bike was parked. Good luck.

I walked the town for a while, checked out some shops and enjoyed the sights of Moab. I grabbed a burger and a brew at a local restaurant, Zax; and Hit the hay yet again.

The Route

doublen screwed with this post 05-22-2011 at 10:19 PM
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote