View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
doublen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Return Ride Day 4:

I chose this day because it had the least likelihood of getting me soaking wet. I made a good decision. The ride was dry nearly the entire day, I ran into a little patch of rain in Garland Utah but after that it was all smooth sailing. The only thing I fought is the southern Idaho wind. It blows nearly constantly in the Snake River plain, basically the entirety of southern Idaho. But it was clear, and that’s all I asked of the day.

I’ve driven that stretch of road hundreds of times and could do it with my eyes closed but unfortunately I had to take it fairly slow because I was concerned about that rear tire and I just wanted to make it home in one piece.

I stopped near Twin Falls and decided to stretch my legs and show off a little of the famous Snake River canyon. This is the canyon that Evel Knievel jumped his motorcycle over. Not the exact location, that’s right beside Twin Falls. In fact, the ramp that was used is still standing.

The Hansen Bridge

The Snake River Canyon

Crazy people

I detoured off the Interstate and took some familiar back roads and shortcuts and made my way home. I almost made it the entire trip without an interaction with the rozzers but I couldn’t help myself in Shoshone. Luckily I know every cop in town and what started out as interest in the zippy sport bike heading through town ended in a B.S. session at the local pit stop. Good catching up with friends as usual.

Getting closer to home

Descending into the lovely Wood River Valley

Only 55 miles to go from there, I topped off (Since the price of fuel increases by about $0.40/gal in those 55 miles and headed home into very familiar lands. I found myself pulling into the driveway just as it started to rain again. Thank goodness!

Some stats for the trip; I get stupendous fuel economy when I ride alone. I lost the first portion of the trip on the trip computer because of the battery issues I was having so these images don’t reflect the first 600 or so miles of the ride. But I was thoroughly impressed with how efficient this bike is and she never ceases to amaze me at how versatile she is.

Average Fuel economy for the duration of the trip

Average Speed

Top Speed

The amount of miles recorded after the bike got fixed

Hours in the saddle

(FYI, that little cubby hole above the gauges and under the visor is a great place to keep a microfiber towel for wiping off truck spray)

My rear tire at the end, nearly toast but it made it.

The Route

doublen screwed with this post 05-22-2011 at 11:23 PM
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote