View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #75
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
Sure it is. If you can't avoid, laying it down is likely you best course of action vs direct impact.

That said, most people give up too easily and make the decision to lay it down.
I have 21 years of riding experience, most of which, including now, year round without even owning a car.

Zero broken bones, one sprained ankle, one sore knee.

I am interested in learning under what conditions rolling traction will not allow you to stop quicker or turn sharper then throwing the bike on it's side to slide with a very low coefficient of friction on expensive metal and plastic parts?

Ok, if your going to T-Bone a semi you could lay it down and slide under it, are there any other cases?

P.S. You can lay down an ABS bike quite easily, just turn the handle bars without shifting weight or counter-steering. The laws of physics are still in force, the bike will go down.

P.P.S. Oh yeah, had a cop once tell me that its useful to lay down a bike when your being shot at so you can slide on your back behind it and return fire from a covered position. I will have to take his word for it as I don't get shot at often enough to judge this.

Any other situations sliding on metal and plastic is better then rubber?
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote