View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #121
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Also this afternoon, I think I may have figured out what's up with the headlight. It occurs to me now that the dip switch has full power running through it and that it is itself the switch for high and low beams, unlike my newer VWs which use a dimmer relay. As well, there are two yellow wires coming from the switch--one brings power in from the relay and one sends it out to low beam. As much as I can tell, if they are transposed I should get the sitch I have now, which is "passing light only."
No, it wasn't that at all. The passing beam takes its power from the red (always hot) wire that goes directly to the dip switch. It was getting no power from the relay. The light relay was doing everything it should EXCEPT power up terminal #87. Searching out a new light relay to check now.

I may have issues with the dip switch, in that it does not hold high beam. I presume that there should be a detent to hold low or high, with passing beam available momentarily. The switch does not hold high beam, but springs back to low. I'm not too concerned yet, as my contract stipulates that I am to be a daytime only rider (and I'm OK with that).

A wide shot mit the tank on to keep me inspired:

Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote