View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #36
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,688
water proofed the PCB -interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Bean View Post
The only 1 fail of my kits, was due to the fact that someones pump-house had filled up 50% with (salty)water, and the PCB was still working: Over a couple of month the connection of the coil to the PCB corroded away. When the pump died the connection on the PCB around the wire was gone. I re-soldered that and all electronics still worked: and it is still running today.

Also the wire from the coil itself was about 50% gone... so if the PCB wouldn't have failed.. the wire would have only little later.
With contact breakers the pump would have ceased long before!

AND:
I improved the PCB on this point in 2 ways:
- the PCB now get a PU coating so it doesn't corrode any more
- the connection of this point on the PCB is made stronger and double-sided: so about 4x stronger.

My own prototype (still in my bike after 40dkm rallies and offroad) stopped working ones: It was filled up with muddy waters and that clogged the light detection. I rinsed it with clean water and remounted it... no problems ever since.

Still: Don't try to seal the pump-house.. that will make thing only worse.
Make sure the vent-hose is on the bottom side (so don't mount the pump up-side down) and the vent hose has a nice S curve to prevent water getting in to easily.

(these issues are the same or worse with the original contactbreakers
I tried to coat the PCBs on my kits and it didn't seem to make much difference. I potted a few for external of the cap - that's what I carry for backup. My own generation 2 unit has 20k miles and works great still. Sealed up the cap best I could -can't imagine why not. Even considered just plugging the vent but I suppose sea level to 10kft could keep the pump from working. - I know water would blitz my circuit though. The coil takes so much current it hard to imagine it can tolerate much of anything -just the solder joints get hot even when the circuit components stay cool. If mine ever fails I have a small inventory of my generation 3 units and can go a long time, so I have no worries.
NTL the optical is a good choice - good job.