View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #82
sfwo79
euroromper

Oddometer: 90
Laying it Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
Any other situations sliding on metal and plastic is better then rubber?
I once used the sliding stop technique of last resort when it was better to slide under the front end of a monster pickup than become the hood ornament. In this case, there was no escape right or left, and "getting low" was the way out and it worked. Thankfully.

I once overshot an increasing-radius turn getting on a highway, jumped the curb and ended up skidding across wet grass (upright) toward a small pond/swamp. I laid the bike down and managed to only partially submerge instead of careening headfirst into the bog.

In both cases I managed to get my leg out from under the bike. In both cases, the course of action of last resort - laying down the bike - turned out to be the right one and I'm not sure what I would have done if I had ABS at the time.

Maybe it's inexperience with ABS, or learning how to ride as a kid at flat track races, but I find it disconcerting to not have control over the method I would like to use to stop under certain conditions. On dry pavement, at speed, ABS is definitely my friend. I'm still not too keen on it under other conditions. But maybe I just need to get used to it as a new tool in the toolbox.