View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt8q5 View Post
So maybe a didn't phase my question correctly. I guess I was really just trying to figure out why shorts/tshirt/sandals/jimmy buffett look is fine on a scooter but a no-no on a motorcycle? Assuming speed is similar am I more at risk dropping a motorcycle (i.e. leg injuries?) than a scooter?

I knew exactly what you meant, and I don't have a good answer for you. I've wondered the same thing for years. It's all a stigma thing, best I can figure. Scooters are the "safe" choice and motorcycles are "dangerous." As far as I'm concerned, it's the other way around. I think you're a lot more likely to get creamed on a scooter (much harder to see, tiny wheels, often poor handling and accelerating, etc).

As for not wearing ATGATT on a bicycle, well, the way I see it is you're not actively participating in traffic (unless you're an idiot) so most likely the crash you might have will not be against a cage. I will not a ride my bicycles without a helmet, full fingered and padded gloves and sturdy shoes. I went down on rough rocky pavement on a bicycle at about 15 MPH once and got bruised up but didn't break anything. My gloves saved my hands since that is what hit first. Gloves got torn up but my hands did not. At the speeds most people bicycle (some exceptions) a fall will not have you sliding far enough to get nearly as rashed as even a scooter crash can. Big difference between 10 and 30 MPH.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote