View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
lookaught OP
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 196
Day 0 - the prequel

A little background on me and the trip. I'm 28 and going into my third year of law school in Vermont. The genesis of this trip was declaring that "If I get a summer internship in Alaska, I'm riding a motorcycle there!" Well sure enough, I got the internship, and while it cost a lot more money, I stuck with the plan and rode to AK. In April I picked up the bike from fellow inmate LostViking in Albany, and was pot committed.

The prequel timeline:

Finished finals May 11, drove to PA with the bike in tow and the dog in the car, the dog is living with my parents (thanks mom and dad!) for the next three months.

The dog, a lab-pit mix named Layla:

Ok so once in Pittsburgh it was time to get the bike sorted and packed. Unfortunately, for a procrastinator that didn't go smoothly. I did fab and tig weld on this stainless steel kickstand footprint:

Pretty sweet right? And it won't rust so I didn't paint it, stainless is awesome.

And at 2am, with a planned 9am departure the bike looks like so:

Damn, too much labatt and one custom reflective sticker is all that was accomplished. The rest waited until the morning. On a side note, the "AK 2011" seemed a bit complicated for many people. I thought it'd be kind of clear. Whatever...

boo ya, reflective!

The rider, my name is Jon.

The photo is from the top of Seneca in WV last year during a climbing trip.

And the plan:
Day 1 - Chicago and staying with friend Steph
Day 2 - St. Paul and staying with friend Jerry
Day 3 - Makoshika State Park in Glendive, MT, camping
Day 4 - Lolo hot springs, Missoula, MT, camping... if you can call sitting in a hot springs camping
Day 5 - Yakima, WA and staying with old friend Shayne and Leslie
Day 6 - Rest Day in Yakima enjoying the sunny weather!
Day 7 - Birch Bay, WA just south of the Canadian border and camping
Day 8 - Prince George, BC and staying with extremely gracious inmate GISdood and his wife
Day 9 - Prince Rupert, BC at the Pioneer Hostel. Highly recommended!
Day 10 - sitting around Prince Rupert, waiting for the ferry. Kinda boring but the hostel had free interwebz and I made use of it.
Day 11 - on the ferry to Juneau and Haines. The solarium ROCKS
Day 12 - still on the ferry, getting into Haines at 9pm and camping on the "beach"
Day 13 - the plan was to get to Tok, but I ended up driving all the way from Haines to Anchorage. It was a 770 miles loong haul.

June 23-24 - D2D
Deadhorse... July 4th maybe? Depends on weather
August 12-? - the ride back to Pittsburgh to my family and Layla (the dog).

Stay tuned!

lookaught screwed with this post 06-01-2011 at 01:04 AM
lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote