View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #32
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailer View Post
I think hauling camping gear/personal gear just weighs down the bikes, making off road riding even that much more difficult, so I would say a support vehicle is a great idea, almost a necessity.

As far as an entrance fee or route fee, I think in exchange for signage on the course included with a route sheet (that could be fed into a route sheet holder), and in addition to GPS tracking option that was offered this year, a fee is acceptable. I personally would be happy to pay a $20 fee to have better and redundant navigational assistance.

The proceeds from this fee could be used to cover the expenses such as signage, supplies for route sheets, and gas to have host organizers/volunteers pre-ride the course.
(the above is snipped for brevity in several places)

Just have to respond to this with some comments on how the scenario might evolve ..

As soon as money starts to be collected you need to account for it and have a bank account for it. This requires having an entity to register it under and a volunteer to keep track of it and account for it if required. Financial statements etc....

As soon as routes are marked and supplied in detail you need to start thinking about carrying insurance for liability. This means becoming a registered club with an executive that is listed in the club documents. The CMA (Canadian Motorcycle Association) has to be approached with the route detailed for them and they need 6 weeks to process it and supply the insurance. And there is no guarantee that they'd approve the route either.

We'd need to have a registration table with someone to man it and keep track of bits of paper and signatures. A lawyer would suggest a waiver and require people to sign that as well. Then we'd need people to start keeping track of everyone, people stationed along the route counting heads. Someone at the campground ticking the riders off a list as they arrive. Someone responsible to go looking for you after a certain time. Gawd, the possibilities to turn what really was an Adventure Flash Mob into an organised event are huge here.

And, also, as soon as someone starts to take 'responsibility' for the whole event and accepting money they become a target for blame. People start grinding axes and wandering around looking for 'someone in charge' to bitch at.

How do I know all this? I was membership secretary/rally registrar for the Ducati Owners Club of Canada track rallies for three years.

They are all great suggestions and a rally like that would be superb but it would have to be run by a for-profit business or an accredited club to do it properly and I'm not sure that's really in the spirit of what we had last weekend.
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.

dresda screwed with this post 06-01-2011 at 07:12 AM
dresda is online now   Reply With Quote