View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #18
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,429
Day 7 Braman OK - Liberal KS

Day 7 early morning thunderstorms lingered for a little while and left us around 7 am. It was still raining when we packed up, ate breakfast and started riding.

At first the mud was passable and fun. It had a sandy consistency and was wet enough that allowed it to keep the new tires relatively clean. But we slowed down considerably. From 50-60 MPH, what we were used to do on the flats when dry to 20 MPH.

But then we hit mud that had the consistency of a mix between cream cheese and concrete. Pace slowed down to 10 MPH...and by the time I checked my front wheel I knew we were in trouble. This stuff stuck to everything with a vengeance. Our tires, wheels, engine guard, fenders, boots, everything was covered. We decided to turn around and look for parallel alternate dirt roads that had the kind of mud we liked...we looked north and south, no luck.

At this pace, there was no way we were going to make it to Liberal on time...so we decided to cut our losses and b-lined south to the closest paved road that went west. We had our fun in the mud all morning but were looking forward to getting our mileage back up. Eventually we rejoined the TAT further west near Alva. All in all, a 60 mile reroute in pavement.

Past Alva the weather really improved. Sun came out. Landscape turned drier. Humidity dropped quickly. It felt like a different state.

Tons of fun riding 60 MPH again

Until I hear through the headphones: my clutch is gone...

Cable snapped.

OK. I had read on several places, bring an extra clutch cable...

No clue what to do.

I did have 3G, so I posted a question on ADV forum here and voila, other than a few smart-ass comments, tips kept coming on how to deal with it, amazing. My son insisted he could ride without a clutch. So after a false start, we kept going west.

Riding to Liberal as the sun set.

Day 7 video summary, back with the correct format, worth waiting to download the HD version.

Road Reports by ejtv click here

ejtv screwed with this post 06-04-2011 at 11:31 AM
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote