View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Day 4

I think camping is starting to lose its luster.

More so when there is work to be done on the computer. In the daylight it's hard to see the screen. At night it gets cold and uncomfortable, insects are out, you can't see very well, battery life is a factor, mobile broadband may or may not work. I'm very happy to be in a hotel room tonight, especially when it costs only $13 more than the campground did last night!

This morning I managed to get on the road around 7:30 and a while later made it to Show Low and a McDonald's for breakfast, and a couple of hours of checking email and getting some other things done.

Bad news by email, my Tennessee sister is bowing out of the gathering in New Orleans. This cascades into the event being canceled. So my plan now is to spend an extra day with my other sister in Houston. then a couple more days with my Louisiana buddy, and maybe do the rest of the trip as planned but a couple of days shorter. This is not all bad because three weeks is a long time to be away from my honey at home; I miss her a lot already.

Some pics en route from Show Low to Eagar, taken "on the fly":

More bad news awaits me just past Eagar. There is a major wildfire near Alpine and highway 180 is closed! Even up here, smoke is heavy in the air. I'm not quite sure what to do now, but all reasonable options seem to involve going East on highway 60, so I do that intending to stop somewhere for lunch and study my maps out of the heavy gusting wind.

Edit: Here is a news story about the fires.

Here are a couple of pics where I stopped at a historical marker on 60. You can see how thick the smoke is:

And continuing on 60:

Finding a cafe in Quemado, NM:

Enchiladas - best meal I've had all week!

Stopped here to check out this large collection of radio telescopes:

Socorro, NM is my new destination for the night. Now to figure out what's next!

rodr screwed with this post 06-03-2011 at 10:01 PM Reason: Added link to story about Arizona fires
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote