View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
XR650L: Spud Rollers for Your Chain Guide

I have never liked the chain guide slider on my XR650L. Therefore, I decided to replace the chain guide slider with two chain rollers. After employing two different, commercial chain rollers, I decided to experiment with polyurethane tubing. You can read the details of my chain roller modification in the following thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667646

My polyurethane Spud Rollers have proven to be far superior to the commercial chain rollers I have experimented with in my chain guide. For example, here is a photograph of a sealed bearing chain roller, and an unsealed, Delrin chain roller after 2,400 miles of wear in my chain guide.

The chain guide is a dirty, harsh environment for chain rollers. Besides rolling friction, the drive chain impacts the chain rollers, subjecting them to further abuse. Therefore, it is not surprising my sealed bearing chain roller fractured after 3,800 miles of wear. At that point I decided to replace the sealed bearing chain roller with another unsealed, Delrin chain roller.

The unsealed, Delrin chain rollers have sustained chain impact better than the sealed bearing chain roller. However, rolling friction from the drive chain still wears the commercial, unsealed chain rollers at an unacceptable rate. In the following photograph, the front chain roller, on the left, has 1,200 miles of wear. The rear chain roller, on the right, has 5,000 miles of wear.

After observing this wear, I decided to experiment with my polyurethane Spud Rollers. I am pleased to report my polyurethane chain rollers are performing superbly; they are far superior to the commercial chain rollers I have previously employed in my chain guide. After 1,850 miles of service in my chain guide, my Spud Rollers are showing virtually no wear.

I bought my polyurethane tubing from a local, industrial supply shop.

If you decide to perform my chain roller modification, you will also need to purchase two, 3/8 x 2-inch, hex head bolts, two 3/8-inch, nyloc nuts. These bolts, nuts and washers are readily available in almost every local hardware store.

If you are interested in buying one or more of my Spud Rollers, please send me a personal message, and we can arrange for payment. I accept either personal checks, or payment via my PayPal account.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 07-27-2011 at 10:53 PM