View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #57
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Just going to chime in on the "hangin in the pits" sentiment. I talked to my brother recently. He was my crew chief and remembers that they'd have enough time to arrive at the pits, find a place to park, unload various items like the bike stand and the fuel jug, and then start to look for me. Within minutes I would arrive, fuel up (myself and the bike) and head out. They were at each pit for no longer than 15 minutes at the most.

Also, my brother was purposefully driving the speed limit between each pit stop for two reasons. First, the Nevada Highway Patrol knew that VtoR was going on and that support crews were out "racing" from stop to stop. A little exuberant driving is always frowned upon by the NHP, especially between Goldfield and Tonopah and extra-especially on the day of the race. Second, in the Ford diesel we had, it's possible to drive from Vegas to Reno chasing a race effort from pit to pit on one tank of fuel but only if you're taking it easy. He knew that they might not have the time to stop for fuel for the chase truck. This made for minimal dilly-dally for them all day.

Tom