View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #100
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
...So yeah, how's the relocation worked out after all those miles? I'm betting no news is good news! I wish you were slamming over rocks all day long like I do with mine (except lately with the shift shaft broken off) so I could see if it would stand up to the beating before being the guinea "pig". ...
The Rocky Mountains of Idaho also contain a few rocks, so I do slam over some myself. I'm pleased to report my Shorai battery relocation is working very well. I am also happy the 10+ pounds of the "battery suitcase" is not slamming my subframe every time I pound through the Idaho rock piles.
Quote:
...BTW, my oil breather hose is coming in the upwind (airbox) side of the air filter so the mist is sucked through the filter keeping it oiled. ...
Good for you! As with many others, I was routing my breather hose into the bottom port on the carburetor side of the air filter. Your routing of the breather hose makes much more sense. As long as you don't mind the extra oil consumption, I can't see a downside to your configuration. Personally, I prefer the oil separator. However, I really don't care if others choose to remove it.
Quote:
...Perhaps it's a reasonable assumption that oil won't harm the CDI unit, but is it a bet worth taking? I don't think it's a good long-term bet!
Peace be with you!
If someone routes the air hose as you do, on the air box side of the air filter, the CDI unit will indeed get oil on it. I think the CDI unit is probably sealed well enough, but I personally wouldn't want to coat it with oil from the crankcase. Therefore, if one wishes to mount the CDI unit in the air box, I would recommend he not route the crankcase breather hose as you have done.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 06-08-2011 at 04:21 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote