View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 04:59 AM   #40
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunstei View Post
Great report as always, Win!

Hope you continue to enjoy the Aprilia. I had an SR50F with the oil-injected DiTech engine which I derestricted and did vario tuning on (this was before I had my bike license). It was a very stable, comfortable, and peppy scoot for a 50, and I still smile when I think back to going down the road in heavy rain on it, a pair of Joe Rocket saddlebags loaded on because I was on a multiday trip, and a Triumph Tiger 2-up passes me. We meet up about 4 miles later at the ferry landing waiting for the boat to Tsawwassen, and the look on his face when he realized it was only a 50, was priceless. It would run a good 90 km/h no problem one up, and 80+ 2-up.
I have no doubt that I'll continue to enjoy it. I went for another ride the following weekend, this time solo in the N. Ga Mtns. I ended up chasing a group of guys on 650-1200cc bikes for a while. Just like the guy amazed you were on a 50cc scooter, I think I opened a few eyes on what could be done on a scooter. The link to that ride is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694932

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Good stuff! I love Deals Gap. And I hear ya on how annoying it can be to get stuck behind slow traffic that won't use the paved pull-offs. I too avoid the place on weekends and holidays. Early and late day during the week is great. There is NOTHING like a completely uninterrupted run through all 300+ curves. You quickly learn how to avoid traffic by pulling off and waiting a few minutes to let the road clear, but when it's busy, even that doesn't work very well.

Curious... how many miles do you get out of a tank of gas? And how much fuel does it hold?
A I posted, I normally won't go near Deals Gap when I think it will be busy. I was surprised that it really wasn't that crowded. I enjoyed it but I was riding 2 up on a scooter I wasn't used to yet so I was fine just taking it easy. I would have been bored riding through solo on one of my dual sports. Even without traffic, there was too much LEO presence.

As for mileage on the Aprilia, I have been getting 72-83 MPG and it has a 2.4 Gal tank. I ran it to the low fuel light one time. It came on at 138 miles and I filled up at 142 miles - 1.95 Gallons. I figure I can safely count on a range of around 165+ miles

klaviator screwed with this post 06-11-2011 at 04:04 PM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote