Thread: The Grand Rally
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #27
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
What time of year is best for comfortable temperatures?
Summer is bad due to the heat. Winter doesn't really work because certain parts will be under snow or mud. So, the only options are the gaps between. But some of the more desert stages where snow and mud are not generally issues could be run into the winter months. So depending on the stage, different time periods could apply.

If you think you can do the WHOLE thing in one trip, you might as well go do Dakar instead, because it's about the same difficulty, and in Dakar they at least have helicopters and sweep trucks to quickly pick up your body or your bike.

Quote:
Could you zip together a map with strategic locations for the support truck to meet up as well as recommended camp locations that the support truck can get to??
Each roadbook (stage) starts and ends at a strategic "bivouac" location. On many of the stages it would be difficult or impossible to stage anyplace in between. Nearly all the bivouac locations are easily accessible by highway or good dirt road, and are either in town at a motel, or are at campground type locations. The stages with remote bivouacs could be skipped depending on the support available. The locations of the bivouacs will be provided with the roadbooks.

Don’t expect detailed course maps or GPS tracks to be available. As rallies go, the course should not be known except as specified in the roadbooks, which won’t be available until the last possible minute. Generally the roadbooks for one stage are handed out after the previous stage is completed.

Quote:
I do like the idea of go arounds for the super tech stuff as well as bail out routes in case someone gets hurt or has a mechanical
Generally each long stage starts near a gas station, passes through a gas station mid-day, and ends near a gas station. Most stages have a couple of crossings of paved roads or highways along the way. For the most part, those pavement crossings will be the bailout points. Given that I try to put lots of hard stuff in as much as possible, an amateur rider skipping all the hard stuff will not get much dirt at all. The bailouts are more for mechanical issues and injuries. In the future I’d like to go through it stage by stage and plan dirt easy way bypasses for the most difficult spots, but that won’t come for a while. In the beginning, those with lesser riding skills should not attempt The Grand Rally, or at least not a lot of it.

One of the main motivators for me putting this route together is to provide challenging rally training roadbooks for Jonah Street, Quinn Cody, and any other top Dakar competitor. To be challenging for those guys, it has to be pretty tough. The Grand Rally is an extremely challenging ride, for hardcore rally racers.

For those looking for a less difficult super cool dual sport adventure ride around the Grand Canyon, I suggest you check out Crawdaddy and Strega’s ride instead. They picked more manageable roads and provided their GPS track file.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514339
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514330
http://www.crawdadoffroadevents.com
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote