View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #771
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,609
Well, since I leave Turkey today, I figure I should get started on posting some pics of while I was here. Between traveling & getting visas, I just havenít had much time.
I headed south to the Gallipoli peninsula, famous for the battles here during WW1.
I donít know much about that war, Iím more of a WW2 buff, so heres my chance to learn a bit.
(not that what I learned is 100% correct!)
The narrows called the Dardanelles are the passageway from the sea to Istanbul, and the british fleet wanted to get thru here, but they blocked it with mines & shooting from the shores. So, the Australian & New Zealand armies (as well as the British) decided to take the peninsula.
This didnít work out so well, & they were defeated. Was a helluva battle, and seems to have gone on for quite a long time. This is where Ataturk came into prominence as a leader, and worked his way up after this to be the head of the country, and is still revered as a hero today. I spent the night in Eceabat, its right on the shore. They had a nice memorial, and also a park, with a scaled down version of the area, showing where the battles were, how the minefields were placed, etc.

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote