View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #91
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Capacitive touchscreens (as I understand it) rely on the electrical current in the human body to trigger the input, restive relies on the physical shorting out of layers in the screen by pressure.

I don't think (but I'm not sure) that Android devices are standardized across the board as the iPhone is.
There are no modern phones with resistive touch screens. They were standard once, but are not very good everyone has switched to capacitive. There are some very old or very very cheap devices that still go for resistive, but no good phone is using it.

It seems there are different techniques to make a capacitive touch screen though. Some of them require an electrical contact on the surface of the screen, while others allow you to have (for example) a thick sheet of plexiglass your finger and the capacitance grid, so it may well depend what phone you have.

The internet is full of people complaining you can't use an iPhone with gloves on. I think they're either full of s**t, or are repeating other people's s**t without verifying it, or they have different gloves to any I've ever had a chance to test, and I've tested plenty.

As a test I covered my finger in electrical tape, and my phone's touch screen still works. I had to wrap the tape six or seven layers thick to stop the touch screen from working (there wasn't really a fixed thickness where it stopped working, it just got progressively more difficult. Two or three layers was as if the tape wasn't even there).

I'm sure there are android devices made/sold in china for $50 that have bad touch screens, but I would expect any of the popular models to be at least similar in quality to what I have on my iPhone. Having a grid of capacitance sensors on the outside of the display doesn't sound feasible at all, one tiny scratch and your touchscreen is ruined. I'm willing to bet all android phones are either resistive, or use a capacitive touch technology that allows a layer of protective glass or plastic between your finger and the sensor. If they have that, then you're just making it a bit thicker by adding a clear plastic screen protector or wearing gloves.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 06-20-2011 at 12:55 AM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote