View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
racki OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Where is the bloody tiler?

My first ride report, so please be gentle. Its going to be live report, because I like them the most and being lazy I wouldnt be able to write anything after my return.

Some seven years ago I was flying to Australia to do some more studying. From the plane I could see a lot of interesting stuff mountain ranges, deserts, forests. I thought it would be nice to go there on a bike one day. It would be even nicer to go and visit my family in Poland on a bike, going across what I saw. Australia to Poland on a bike...

Couple years later I found out about Motosyberia guys on some Polish website. From their blog I learned about Advrider and became a massively addicted lurker. LordMaciek showed me the way. Later came other highly inspirational riders Mataljockey (from which I learned about G650Xchallenge and how to enjoy riding), Colebatech (this guy is just a legend and I hope his bike is not copyrighted). Dr. Rock and LDF with their Mobius Trip are heroes too one day Ill take my wife for a ride (although I might need to knock her out of consciousness first...), today Ill just take handful of riding ideas and solutions. Oisin Jesus, I really laughed reading his stuff! Mongolian section of his ride report effectively forced me to go there. Rtwdoug with his unique choice of motorcycles and relaxed attitude is always a good read. At the end of my short list came Nathan riding Elena with a lot humour and Luke & Nick with their constant problem fixing exercises. Evan and Charlie are on a list too, although for a while they fooled me into thinking that I cant leave my village without 10000000$ budget and five people crew. So here comes my BIG THANKS to all of you, for your advice and/or inspiration.

In 2007 I got my first bike in Australia KTM 690 motard . I loved it so much I wanted to take it for cross-continental ride. Luckily my brain woke up right in time to stop me, although it could add more challenge to the mix. Idea was growing in my head rapidly so I started to look for companion. Riding solo if fun, but sometimes its good to have someone to cover you in trouble or talk to by the campfire.

Here comes Jonathon highly unlikely choice since he is not a motorcycle rider. But hes a top bloke in all other aspects of blokeness. Such a minor obstacle is not enough to stop me of course, so I poisoned his brain with my master plan. His lovely wife might still hate me for that... I showed him my route plan, itinerary and possible budget requirements. It happened over a beer in local pub and thats it on the photo below. It was enough to plant a seed in his head. Sometimes I think men are way too simple if that was enough to make him a proper adventure rider...

Fast forward three years I got BMW G650Xchallenge. It was slightly
used, but already nicely equipped. I got it at the right time when previous owner ran out of enthusiasm. Despite that I still managed to strap a lot of good stuff to it. During last Easter weekend I took it for 5 days, 4000km trip and it worked great. I certainly hope that lots of preparation will make up for a lack of talent...

Visas sorted (6 of them), flight booked, shipping agencies aligned. The only problem is that John was still missing a bike. I used my Jedi powers to force him into shopping mood and he got F800GS. Truth is that he lives in Singapore and had to get bike in Australia (price here is ridiculous, but still lower than over there). It took him some time to get here and find something. Slightly used, but looks like new. Due to lack of time for customising he takes it in stock form.

Right now bikes should be somewhere between Australia and Korea. Wendy Choi is going to pick them up and transfer to Donghae for Sunday, 26th on June ferry. I should be in Korea on Saturday morning, bit of touristy crap in Seoul, handshake with Wendy and bus ride across the country. From Vladivostok it will be pretty straight forward first we need to go along the Chinese border to Mongolia and then south to -stans. Ill try to put proposed map of our route in the next instalment. Im sure everything will work out somehow.

And yes Im a tiler and my clients must hate me for this trip
Bart

racki screwed with this post 11-03-2011 at 03:38 AM
racki is offline   Reply With Quote