View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
ADVWannabee OP
Gnarly Adventurer
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 212
Sunday, the last day of the trip.

We woke up around 6:00 am on Sunday. I pulled out my phone to check the weather radar. WTH? There was a huge band of rain practically on top of us. I suggested we pack and scoot down the road to Ripley, WV before stopping for breakfast and that is what we did.

We got to Ripley and ate a nice breakfast at Bob Evans. We probably should have grabbed a biscuit at McDonalds and got out of there sooner but it might not have mattered. As soon as we were making our way to the interstate it started to rain. We were stuck in the rain all the way to just above Princeton.

Fortunately, most of the time it was just a steady rain and not a downpour. But just before the last tollbooth it started to pour. My friend had a rainsuit on that prevented him from easy access to the toll money. So it took him a couple minutes to dig out the money and pay. I had a textile jacket on so I just unzipped the pocket to get the money. It wasn't easy but was pretty quick.

I had been stopping on the far right side and waiting on him to clear the booths and this time was no different. There I was, in pouring rain, sitting on my bike beside the road just past the toll booth. People must have thought I was crazy. It was strange but the vibration and staccato sound of the v-twin idling was reassuring.

We pulled of at an exit soon after to get out of the downpour and to avoid what appeared to be a traffic backup. We drank some coffee and planned a route around the backup. But after 10 minutes when we mounted up again, the interstate was moving like nothing happened. I have no idea why it was stopped or how it cleared up so quickly. So we jumped back on 77 and motored on home. It took me an hour to unload the bike and hang my stuff up to dry.

Now you may be wondering about the title of my ride. Well I had planned a somber solo trip to my roots and was planning to see all the old homes of my family and now their graves including my mother who was killed in a car wreck about 10 years ago. And they say motorcycles are dangerous?

But my friend came along at the last minute so I didn't get to see all the sites I had planned but ended up having a blast. It was a fun trip and it left me with reasons to get back on the bike again some time. Next time I want to get out on 78 outside of McConnelsville and see the strip mine area along with the Big Muskie bucket (the worlds largest drag line crane). I didn't realize it was gone now, glad I got to see it when I was a kid.
I don't ride because I have a death wish, I ride because I wish to live.
O Canada, Off to the races, A trip down memory lane, Lola does the OBX, Slaying the Dragon
ADVWannabee is offline   Reply With Quote