View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #15
poolman OP
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlocks View Post
Great report and pictures. It brings back good memories of when I was there with my sister. The episode with the dogs sounds nerve racking.

It sounds like the Diamox is not working well for you. I guess it is hard to know without comparing the same activity with or without it. I tried to climb Kilimanjaro once but failed due to altitude sickness. I am always thinking about trying it again but using the Diamox. Did the Diamox make you nauseous?

How much did you pay for the bikes and the guide? I like to keep an eye out for cheap rentals overseas. Great that you have a good friend willing to do this with you. None of my good friends would ever do this .
Artlocks,

Juan and Culin must have somehow had advance knowledge as to where the vicious packs of dogs would be... to their great amusement I happened to be leading during each of the many attacks!

The Diamox seemed to do it's job as I had no altitude-related issues on this trip. I took it for three days before arriving in Cusco and two additional days once at altitude. The only side-effect was the inability to taste carbonation (read "beer"). The doctor was actually impressed with my pulse-ox level and diagnosed that I had contracted Cryptosporidium and Giardia infections from the local water.

The bikes and Guide were obtained through Alex Luna at Peru Moto Tours, and I highly recommend them. Their rates are published on their website, but Alex will work with you to outfit YOUR adventure and accommodate your itinerary, providing as little or much involvement as you desire.

www.perumototours.com

Thanks,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote