View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,569
Day 5...

After giving the wrong road name to a fellow inmate, my apologies (my memory is great, just really friggin’ short). I left Princeton along Princeton Summerland road, just over the bridge beside the fancy footbridge north of highway #3. Go right, then bear left past the entrance to the mill. The road is a nice curvy bit of pavement that eventually gravels out. Just up by the dam on the south side of the road I jumped onto the Kettle Valley right of way on the north side of the road (just look for the Trans Canada Trail sign). It was easy running even for a big Trailie like the 990 and familiar territory for me. Near Summerland the trail widens and has nice pea gravel on it. I shot a few pictures while I rode just for experiment sake.

Along the river here.

Beautiful setting.

Old cave behind me.

Still sporting day 3 BCBTR6's "red greened" roadbook.

The end of the line where the steam train runs. The way the bike is facing in the picture will get you onto the Fish Lake road and into Summerland, just follow the signs.

parking on the right of way above the camp spot.

Parking is actually on the KVR right of way with the camp sites down beside the lake. Easy get away in the morning without disturbing other campers if you are an early bird like me.

The office, laundry and washrooms. One of many.

The most northerly showerhouse and washroom at Banbury.

A shot for you botanists, looked like asparagus to me.

I putted by a couple of bicyclists who didn’t even hear me coming until I was just about on them. They didn’t seem to have any problem with me being there. When I got to the end of the trail I went left 100 yards onto Fish Lake Road and into Summerland. After a quick stop for provision in Penticton I blasted south on 97 to Banbury Green Campground. It is easy to miss, just look for a break in the concrete barrier at the top of the hill as you climb out of Penticton. It does have a little sign notifying a campground is there. After setting up camp it was a pleasure to wade into the lake right beside my spot and cool the roasted feet. After a early campfire and a fine single malt or 4 it was time to call it a day. I had formulated a plan for the morning that would see more time on the KVR on previously unexplored sections as well as some familiar.

The view across the lake from the camp.

Visitors to my private beach.

Facing north along the KVR and west side of Skaha Lake toward Penticton. Watch for rocks in the weeds and underbrush. A few low hanging tree branches as well.

More to come....
09 KTM 990 Adv

Lycan1 screwed with this post 07-02-2011 at 07:56 PM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote