View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 760
Day 6....

As soon as the sun lit the tent, 04:30 I was awake and ready to go (it’s a curse). I quietly packed up and then hit the shower room. I fired up the beast and idled north up the trail about 200 yards and then let the bike warm up. It was a fairly easy ride, if a little narrow in places and I skirted around a few rock falls. The pines growing along this stretch were a bit low so I was sitting, puttering along at about 30 kph. The next thing I knew I was laying on my right side facing the lake just registering the hit. I had hit something immovable, and I was apparently not unstoppable! Both Gobi bags were lying back (10 feet or so) on the trail. After shutting off and picking up the bike and getting it facing north on the trail again, I retrieved the bags. The right one was OK and latched back on, the left had broken the part of the rear latch that grabs the rack. I zip tied it on with a few heavy duty zip ties (an adventure riders best tool) Then tied a cheap ” nylon strap around the bag and rack just to be sure. Repair done in less than 5 minutes, heartrate back to normal.

With much more caution, I proceeded along the trail. The day prior while checking in at the camp I had asked about the Bear warning posters and was told that a black bear and her cub were calling the trail north of camp home but that he “was pretty sure they had caught them”. My senses were now on high alert (they should have been before) and when I saw a dead partially eaten fish on the trail as well as bear dropping I was concerned. I stood up on the pegs and started honking the horn as I continued on. Not much further I could see the next campground where the trail ended and quit making noise as I cruised slowly into it. Back on the road I headed east into town to the nearest Tim Hortons for what passed for breakfast. I had fueled previous afternoon so through town toward Naramata I went. Last year there had been little signs directing you to the KVR, but this year they were gone, so I had to rely on memory, was I screwed. I could remember the wineries that I had passed, but not the road, so when it looked about right, I turn right (east) and went up the hill. It turned out to be a different access point but I found the KVR and headed north toward Chute Lake. I stopped for some new pictures of the KTM up on the line and just enjoyed this easy section of the trail.

Just above Naramata before the little tunnel.

When I got to the Adra Tunnel bypass I was surprised at how much they had improved it, and at the top of this short bypass I saw that the trail to the tunnel had concrete blocks arranged like a maze down its length. I was curious so I parked and hiked to the tunnel entrance. They had begun repairs and the sign said the tunnel was open and accessible for the first 100 meters. So in I went, cool!

After a little poking around, I continued toward my next objective, Myra Canyon. I knew that I would not be able to ride the trestles but it was the bypass and just seeing them that was the appeal. Just before Chute Lake, in the burnt area from the 2003 fires I had to stop for a bear. A mid sized black bear was standing looking at me up the trail. Of course I had to get his picture before honking and revving the engine to clear the path.

I was far enough away that I could turn and run if he charged. After that little encounter I carried on past Bellevue trestle and all the way to the Myra Canyon Parking lot just for curiosity sake.

Then I back tracked a kilometer and a half to the Little White FS road and went south up the hill to the bypass. Since rebuilding the trestles and opening up the Canyon again they obviously have not maintained this bypass and the signs are either missing or fallen over with only a few remaining. A little common sense and directional ability and even without a GPS you will get around it.

It is fairly bland up top as you start east with just what undergrowth has grown since the big fire decimated the area. The trail gets pretty rough and loose as you climb higher. Then it really narrows as it drops to the Pooley Creek bridge. Then you will either want to have a saw or practice riding over fallen trees all of which are fairly small diameter.

A bit further on there is a steep banked little stream crossing that could cause problem, and would have been less intimidating with another rider along in case of a spill. There may have been a small log bridge over at one time but now just a few logs were floating in the stream which would only roll under the tires.

I put away the electronics in the waterproof bags and stomped into the stream to move the logs out of the way, and plot my course over the big round slippery rocks. With a path determined and nerves steady I put the beast in gear and took the one shot I would get. As I drop sharply into the stream I kept a steady throttle and straight line, bottoming out the front forks, then I was up the even steeper bank on the other side safe and sound. Now I felt good! Not long after that I came onto a high spot and got my first glimpse of the Trestles, Yeah, this is what I came for. I only wished I had packed the big lense, but just being there was fantastic! I had missed this section last year and I felt really good about getting through this time. It had been very helpful that a fellow ADV inmate had posted this route on my ride report, and as a result I was able to see this. If you are through here come see it, you will be impressed if you have any interest in the history of this amazing feat of engineering.

the report continues.....

Lycan1 screwed with this post 07-02-2011 at 09:16 AM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote