View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 02:17 AM   #461
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,038
Aslan's Takapari Road Rideout

Seven of us started from Mana (Stephen, Neville, Bruce, Howie, Ian, ?), picked up Mark S at Shannon. Robin & 86GSX at Ashhurst. Graham Flyger also rode up but didn't accompany us.

Looks like the Manawatu almost had a frost. It was cold. And the weather didn't cooperate & clagged in. Aslan took us for a bit of a magical mystery tour of the upper Pohangina Valley, but it was a bloody good gravel road, so who the hell cares.

Lost Robin at the bottom of Takapari Rd. He deicided not to go up with us, given he was running a road oriented front tyre.
Takapari Rd was clouded in, which meant we got wet on the way, & didn't get the views, but hey, its an excellent ride. There was snow clumps nr the summit. We all stopped at the A-Frame for a warm up & pictures. Did anyone get a pictuire of the snowman on the way back?

The group split into two, 4 going back, but Ian, Stephen, Mark & I decided to get to the end of the road. The road deteriorated markedly after the A-Frame Hut, with large erosion washouts & some sections with large rock loose. We stopped when the road did - there was tracks going into a bog. I wasn't successful in getting Mark S to 'test the water' for us.

Coming back was even more fraught than going. Is that clutch I smell?

Back down, someone needed a tow to the gas station, & then the fab four headed off to Ballance for a coffee & lunch. Attacked North Range Rd, the Lower Class Road attracted the riff raff, & we proved it isn't a dead end. Also fairly sure the 'temporary' 20km warning sign has been there a while - its growing moss. One dab in the middle of a huge mud puddle on the way thru, when the front washed out. Fortunately that was sufficient.

Home by dark, bloody cold.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 07-02-2011 at 02:36 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote