View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #13
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,569
Day 12

Up with the sun peeking through the trees, I make my way to the new, clean shower rooms. A sign (in keeping with Toad Rock) says "shower with your mouth open, you will get all the minerals that you need" It goes on to explain the water has lots of iron in it so any stains in the shower are normal and not from lack of cleaning. Despite this warning it appears very clean. I finish showering and then go to the end of the building where the communal sink room is to shave, etc. I pack the beast for the final run home and after a chat with another early riser couple I head out. Kaslo and the BlueBird Restaurant affords a good early morning breakfast before hitting the gravel up to Galena bay. I take one brief detour up to Duncan dam lookout, and another, a short ways up Healy Forestry road before arriving at Galena Bay.

Duncan Dam lookout.

Healey Forestry Road on the east side of the river on Hwy 31.

After that it is just a pavement blast with fuel stops to home. I encounter only one holdup at the Alberta border where they are doing blasting for the second bridge of the 4 lane construction. 10 minutes at most and it is homeward bound.

It has been a good trip on the KTM 990, now named the "Orange Dragon" . I found that the bike is truly a great machine with a design best suited to all out, no holds barred riding. Subtlety is not it's strong suit and it can be a handfull on a narrow trail. It nearly killed me once on Old Nicola road and another time coming down off Hurley Pass. But hey, if the Grizzlies will run from it then maybe the Dragon saved my skin as well. She looks sexy with the luggage off and has enough legs to shame a few unsuspecting sport bikers. I see a lot of future miles on this Austrian monster, for now she resides in her cave behind my place. I think I'll take her off the leash again today....... Cheers all!

09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote