View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #13
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
The rear of my chain guide had a few cracks in the plastic when I acquired my used, XR650L. Also, my chain guide has recently taken some punishment in the Idaho rocks. Since a new chain guide is relatively inexpensive, and because my Spud Rollers are wearing so well, today I decided to trim the rear of my chain guide, and experiment with a single Spud Roller installed in the front of the chain guide.

My original objectives for this modification were to reduce chain guide maintenance, drive chain friction, and the replacement cost of wear items such as the "chain slipper" and the chain guide slider. I am very satisfied with my success regarding these objectives. However, I now wish to discover if a single Spud Roller in the chain guide works as well as two. Two chain rollers will cost less, make less noise, and induce even less drive chain friction than three chain rollers.

So far I have ridden about 150 miles with a single Spud Roller in my chain guide, and all looks well. I will continue to keep you updated regarding the performance, and durability of my single Spud Roller.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil