View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #58
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
in for the pre run.. just let me know when! good work BTW
So many people want in on the prerunning that I've had to tightly ration out the invites. I really appreciate those who are helping because the project could not be completed without them. But I need to keep the prerun groups as small as possible for now. On the other hand, if you want to drive a chase truck, and sit around in a motel while we're out riding, you’ll move right to the front of the helper list. And the beer will be on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
So Scott, have you guts ridden the whole route yet? I mean in one continuous go?
Not at all. We’ve prerun maybe a third of it so far, and not in the order that the stages are laid out.

Actually, to ride the whole thing would take an effort not unlike what’s needed for Dakar. You need a traveling support crew, lots of supplies and spare parts, and a couple of weeks of free time. Remember, this thing is already over 3000 miles, and still growing. That's about the length of dirt Special miles in Dakar (not counting liaisons). And a lot of TGR miles are very technical. I don’t really think ANYONE will ride the whole thing, start to finish, in one trip. It’s just too hard and too much. That’s why I’m sort of breaking it up into regional sections, so people can take on 3 or 4 stages in one trip, from one “bivouac” location. Then you can take on another group of regional stages on another trip from another bivouac location.
HogWild is online now   Reply With Quote