View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #73
YOGOI OP
Prick

Oddometer: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner53 View Post
If you go up thru central Peru to the far north, there is an out-of-the-way (wait, isn't everything out of the way in Peru?) trip that I loved.
Head east out of Cajamarca towards Bambamarca over the mountains to Chachapoyas area...it's in Amazonas province but that is a misnomer as it is all high mountain and valley area.
If you do at least visit Kuelap, it's the least visited mountain top fortress I think In Peru, the caretaker will let you camp there in the lot, or over the hill to his house where he will feed you for I think I paid $3.00 a day for food and camp. Ask him about 7th day adventists...
The road north to Ecuador from there is pretty spectacular, I went through some amazing canyons and ran into a roadblock at a bridge just before Jaen, Indigenous vs military...they may still be in this conflict over oil and mining interest ruining their land-when i was there happened quite a few deaths between both sides.
The road up from Jaen (don't stay there it's a shitty town) is great also... easy crossing from Peru to Ecuador, then a great mountain drive to Vilcabamba, Ecuador (where you can ogle the holy gringos in their natural environment), up to Cuenca which has good moto shops ...on North.
Just an idea, have fun !!

Zig
We wanted to do this route, but the pounding cold rain, and our time line sent us to the coast.

...next time.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote