View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #31
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
^The above is what would seal the deal for me if you were interested in taking it on anything more challenging than fire roads. For my strength/ability/size the weight is not the limiting factor in offroading the F8. Nor is it the quality of the suspension. By a loooong way, the single greatest limiting factor I find is ground clearance. As the Triumph is lower still, I think you will have problems using it on anything remotely like "proper" offroad.

For a 100% roadbike? I'd be very interested in the Tiger.
+1, after riding and thoroughly inspecting the 800XC up close, I'd have to agree.

In my opinion the F800GS is a good 60/40 bike... as on 60% on road (pavement) and 40% off road (gravel roads, dirt roads, 2-track ATV/Jeep trails, etc - no single track). Whereas, the 800XC is a good 90/10 bike.... 90% paved roads, 10% mixed gravel/fire roads and the occasional "if I have to" 2-track ATV/Jeep trail.

Also, someone mentioned the rims on the 800XC as Excel rims. They are not.

It is also important to remember that just because a suspension component has adjustments, that does not necessarily make it any better. I have a shitty little stereo that has a lot of adjustments on it but it will never sound as good as my Tannoy studio monitors that have no adjustments.... just an analogy, but something to think about nonetheless.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote