View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #33
Maniac28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
+1, after riding and thoroughly inspecting the 800XC up close, I'd have to agree.

In my opinion the F800GS is a good 60/40 bike... as on 60% on road (pavement) and 40% off road (gravel roads, dirt roads, 2-track ATV/Jeep trails, etc - no single track). Whereas, the 800XC is a good 90/10 bike.... 90% paved roads, 10% mixed gravel/fire roads and the occasional "if I have to" 2-track ATV/Jeep trail.

Also, someone mentioned the rims on the 800XC as Excel rims. They are not.

It is also important to remember that just because a suspension component has adjustments, that does not necessarily make it any better. I have a shitty little stereo that has a lot of adjustments on it but it will never sound as good as my Tannoy studio monitors that have no adjustments.... just an analogy, but something to think about nonetheless.
I don't know about the 90/10 thing, the bike is pretty similar to the BMW. Maybe for those of us who really ride hard trails on these bikes, you might notice a difference. For the average buyer, I don't think the added clearance of the F8 makes too much difference.

Also, I didn't look at my test bike, but the 800XC at the motorcycle show had excel rims front and rear. I assumed they would come that way? If they took those off, that's a real shame.
www.pbase.com/ischoenleber
Maniac28 is offline   Reply With Quote