View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM View Post
I know that you BM guys get annoyed when bad information is posted about your bikes, so I hope you'll allow me the courtesy to correct some mis-information posted on the new Tiger 800.

I haven't ridden a F800GS, but I do have a Tiger 800XC, with over 4500 miles on it now. So I won't compare the ride difference between the bikes, but post some info that I do have.

1) The Tiger 800XC DOES use EXCEL rims. No, it isn't silkscreened on the rim like on a dirt bike. The rims on an XC are black, and the words "RK Excel" are etched into the surface. It's a bit dark in the garage right now, but tomorrow I'll go out and try to get a picture of the Excel rim.
Yeah, a pic or two would be nice. I've ridden and looked closely at a 800XC and did not see RK Excel etched anywhere on the rims. Must be somewhat hard to see.

Quote:
2). The Tiger isn't a copy of the F800. It was actually in concept in the year 2007 before the release of the F800. My Italian is not so good, but the dates on the drawings are pretty obvious. http://www.fedrotriple.it/tiger-800-...1-triumph.html
BMW just got to the market first, and set the standard. Triumph had a similar idea, so it's more along the lines of convergent evolution, if you will.
Well it sure looks like a copy!.... especially since BMW's F800GS had been on the market for close to 3 years before Triumph brought their 800XC to the market. The 800XC was in concept in 2007, yes. But you're forgetting that the F800GS came to the market in 2008 and was in concept as far back as 2004. BMW has never been one to release their concept sketches. But I can tell you that these computer drawings from BMW were created long before 2007! Do you think it's possible that someone at Triumph got a glimpse of BMW's designs prior to those Triumph 800XC sketches in 2007?

Quote:
3) I don't know where the 20-25 pound weight difference comes from. Maybe comparing manufacturer spec sheets?? (Which are notoriously biased?) I haven't weighed my bike, but these guys did a comparison http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/8/1012...g-Comparo.aspx and they appear to have weighed each bike with a full tank of gas. The difference was less than 10 pounds between the F800 and the 800XC, and even less when you take into account the .5 gallon extra weight of the 800XC.
BMW claims a 455 lb wet weight for the F800GS: fully fueled, battery installed, ready to ride.

Triumph claims a 473 wet weight for the 800XC: fully fueled, battery installed, ready to ride.

473-455=18 lbs

Quote:
4) The Tiger as a street-only bike? Maybe the 800 roadie version. But the 800XC is definitely dirt worthy. I've had my bike on many gravel roads, forest roads, some sand (!) and a bit of single track. For a near 500 pound machine, it handles predictably, and controllably. I bet it works even better with a knobby-type tire. And don't tell this guy that it's a road bike! http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704559
No one ever said the 800XC is a street-only bike. I just personally feel that the 800XC is more street and less dirt than the F800GS.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote