View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
maverickoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Sunday, Los Padres NF

This happened to us on Sunday: Whata Trail in Los Padres National Forrest, about half way up Frazier Mountain: too much for my gal's F650GS twin... Steep rock face section, not enough clearance...
Out came our aztek pulley system and 20 minutes later we had the bike clear (we needed a little longer to catch our breath though ).

Name:  GOPR0162 Screen shot2.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  185.4 KB

The Aztek is rated at 36kn and very commonly used as a people rescue system. However, it's 8mm rope also makes it the bulkiest component in my road kit (it takes up more than half the space).

One more comment about pulley ratio: The Aztek has a 4:1, but when you have to "drag" the bike (~440lbs in this case), i.e. because it's crash plate / side stand / foot pegs are sitting on the rock (as happened here) or it's on its side, then 5:1 really makes the difference. In those instances I use a Figure 8 Belay Device at one end of the pulley system to run the rope through one more time, bringing my system up to 5:1.

If I can manage to score one in this bulk sale I'll try out the EZ-Pull next time we go up there - that darn rock face will still be up there, waiting

maverickoc screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 10:30 PM
maverickoc is offline   Reply With Quote