View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #314
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,272
Taylor Highway to Alaska Highway to Fairbanks (456 KM)

July 11th & 12th 2011

Ever wonder how one sleeps in Alaska when the sun barely goes down?

Yep eye shades, or as Leslie calls them eye goggles, and ear plugs when you are in a noisy campground. Just thought I would add this in for a little hint for those wondering and needed some advise as to sleep in day light.

Another few days in the life of Cheryl & Leslie’s Big Adventure. We woke up to this temperature in the morning

We managed to stay warm this time. Not the coldest but we are now getting used to being in a tent with less than summer conditions.

Early in the morning the Barn Swallows all go nuts getting morning bugs to feed their young. I watched them for over an hour before anyone was really up in the campground.

Hard to see them but the black specks are the adults.

Note to self, do not head out for a rather longish day without eating breakfast. We did not stop for food until we got to Tok which was only 98.2 KM but felt too far way. We were both starving and having a hard time staying awake on the bikes.

The ride in the beginning was really nice but then got boring most of the way to Fairbanks. Did I say boring? Well, considering where we have been riding these past few days this could not compete so I really do not have many pictures from July 11th.

Some from the Taylor Highway

We had a few scenic moments but not many on this day. The temperature actually got up to 30 degrees Celsius which is about 90 degrees F. What a shocker to our bodies.

Sunglasses and feeling heat for the first time.

By the time we got to Tok we were hot and starving. Pulled up to the first joint that had customers and bikes in the parking lot.

Cool old bikes, old BSA and Indian!

Quick bite to eat then off to put back some air in our tires from the off road stuff and get a little lube on the chain because the rest of the way to Fairbanks was going to be the Alaska Highway, all paved and we found out no views and really really straight.

So, unfortunately like I said no real pictures from the ride to Fairbanks. It wasn’t that far of a ride but seemed like it took forever. You have these types of days on long trips. Getting a little tired and run down and then to have a non thrilling ride makes for a long day. To cheer us up w spent the night in a luxurious bed at the Best Western outside of Fairbanks.

For this post I combining to two days. The hotel had a decent hot breakfast and I got Cheryl eating one of her favourite items for morning food.

Waffle with canned fruit syrup stuff.

We met a bunch of seniors from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina who were very interested in the fact we were riding bikes all over. I gave them one of riding cards and one of the elderly gentleman said, we will indeed support your cause. What a nice guy.

We left to go to Adventure Cycleworks to see Dan about just doing an oil change. Got there around 10:30 and did not leave 2;30 ish. This is an adventure bikers haven for tire changes, mechanical issues, oil changes, parts, you name it. Dan is a self proclaimed non-politically correct man originally from New York of all places but moved to Alaska and never looked back. he and his son Shawn work on bikes from their home and many long lost travelers go there because Dan is meticulous bout his work and bike friendly atmosphere. Dan does like to talk, probably more than me, Leslie.

We got our oil and filter changed today.

Then after hours there, not bad hours just hours we went to the University of Alaska at Fairbanks to get a dorm room. They rent rooms for $49/night and you get 2 twin beds, shared bathroom, common showers, WIFI, sheets, pillow, soap, towels, free laundry and even a TV room with pool table. On campus cafeteria and for $10.30 each you get buffet style food. Not great but not bad as Gary from Anchorage would say.

Many bikers use this as a base before and after they head up to Prudhoe Bay. That is what we are doing. Going to head out on the Dalton Thursday and will be back in Fairbanks by Sunday. That is the plan at least.

Well, that is it for 2 days or our trip. Tomorrow we are heading to some ice castle. Will know more about that tomorrow and fill you all in.

soph9 screwed with this post 07-12-2011 at 10:16 PM
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote