View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
underkill OP
Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer: 1,709
Lots of tiny delicate flowers grow out in the harsh desert

So, our "trip planning" consisted mostly of googling totally random things out here in the desert that sounded interesting. The problem is that, like Washington, lots of stuff in oregon is named exactly what it is. Fort Rock isn't very original. I've also spent a lot of time riding to places like the "high steel bridge" and "7 mile road"... which brings us to the next highlight of our trip: Hole in the Ground. yup.. there really is a place called hole in the ground and amazingly enough it really is a giant freaking hole... Apparently hole in the ground is the opposite of Fort Rock. The area was a lake, magma rose to the surface, flashed to steam, blew all the rock and dirt out, and collapsed into a giant hole.

Doesn't look that big right?

I'm squishing Blinkerfluid and the 690

We rode down one of the trails to the bottom of the hole where I found this sacrificial redneck target practice barrel.

I'm also amazed at the amount of SKY out here. Both Blinkerfluid and I are originally from the Midwest, but we've lived in Washington for a year now and I guess we've gotten used to the cover of thick fluffy gray clouds and tall trees. The desert is so OPEN.
underkill is offline   Reply With Quote